Local Irish Dance School Hosts Workshop With Professional Dancer
Gaithersburg, MD: During the month of October, The Duffy School of Irish Dance will be hosting Professional Irish Dancer Colin Barkell for two weekends of intensive workshops at their Gaithersburg studio. Barkell will work with students to improve their skills as Irish dancers, as well as share his wisdom and experience gleaned from his time as both a competitive and professional dancer. Workshops include SRO Intensives (for dancers attending the regional championships), Power and Presence (for all advanced dancers) and Just the Boys (for all male dancers in The Duffy School of Irish Dance).
“We are excited to bring Colin in to work with our dancers. A fresh perspective can make a huge difference in a dancer’s ability and mindset, and we know that Colin is an excellent example for our dancers,” says Erin Duffy Martorano, TCRG, Owner/Director of The Duffy School of Irish Dance.
Colin’s athletic style of Irish dancing has taken him around the world as both a principle and troupe dancer. Some highlights from his career include:
- Danced lead role in Rhythm of the Dance
- Danced lead role in Celtic Fyre
- Danced in the first national tour of Rockin’ Road to Dublin
- Performed at the White House for President Obama
- Named Irish Dance Magazine’s “Most Inspirational” Irish Dancer of 2016.
- Earned multiple regional championship titles
- Placed 4th at the North American Championships
- Placed 8th at the World Championships
- Choreographed for the boys’ and men's programs at multiple Irish dance schools throughout the country.
The Duffy School of Irish Dance, located in Gaithersburg and Frederick, MD, is owned and operated by Erin Duffy Martorano, TCRG. Teaching staff also includes Erin’s sister, Casey Duffy Graham, TCRG, and Caitlin Kriner, TCRG. Students at The Duffy School of Irish dance range from age 3 through adults, and classes range from preschool to championship level. Duffy dancers have many opportunities to compete and perform throughout Maryland, and elite dancers have opportunities to complete worldwide.
Download this press release: PDF